The age-old saying, “health is wealth,” is more than just a cliche. Researchers are finding more and more connections between finances and health, with symptoms that go far beyond stress. At a time like this, dealing with COVID-19, our finances and health are more important than ever. Not only should we be concerned about our economic and financial health, we should be considering giving our physical and emotional health a boost as well.
COVID-19 has turned our world upside down! When stressful situations of this magnitude arise, unwanted weight gain can occur due to emotional or stress eating. Here’s this weeks health hack for helping you stay fit:
How To Avoid The Quarantine 15
Health hacks for keeping you financially, physically, emotionally, and mentally fit during shelter in place.
TIP #1. MINDUL EATING
Mindful eating is one of the best strategies to fight binge eating. It is not a diet, or about giving up anything at all. It’s all about fully experiencing the food and drink you are putting into your body with full awareness and intention. Mindful eating is a practice used to change your relationship with food and teaches you how to savor each bite. It’s the opposite of fast-food and eating on the run.
How to practice mindful eating:
1. It’s not so much about what you are eating; it’s about why are you eating? Ask yourself, “am I hungry, or am I eating out of an emotion (stress, depression, boredom, etc.)”?
2. Eat slowly. Eating slowly allows you to savor each bite. Count the number of times you chew each bite of food. Ideally, aim for 25-32 times to chew per bite. This gives your brain enough time to calculate how much you’re eating so you don’t overeat.
3. Eat when your calm. Digestion shuts down when you are stressed.
4. When you eat, eat! Put away all distractions so you can enjoy and pay attention to the food you’re eating.
5. Listen to your body. Are you content? Do you need more to eat?
Benefits of mindful eating:
1. Better control over your weight by helping to prevent overeating & emotional eating.
2. Improved digestion.
3. Reduces binge eating by identifying true hunger or emotional eating.
4. Enhanced eating experience! You enjoy your food when you pay attention to it and not to other distractions.
TIP #2. Make a weekly meal plan, and an eating schedule.
Creating a meal plan each and eating schedule is an excellent tool to help you gain control over your diet and helps you to establish a routine and maintain a sense of normalcy. It also helps to ensure you are eating balanced meals throughout the day, causes you to be more mindful about food choices, and eliminates grazing. Here’s a sample of what one may look like. (You can also find many free online templates as well.)
Make sure to TAG and SHARE this post with your friends and family to stay healthy, happy and able to MOVO.
Let us know how you are incorporating mindful eating and other health hacks into your daily life by commenting below. Make sure to follow us on social media @movocash. Let’s MOVO!